Christianity (based on the Bible) says that we were created by God for a purpose. That purpose is to have a relationship with God. The amazing thing about God is that He is not a solitary, independent being. He is Trinity; Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Relationship and love have always existed. God came to a point where He wanted to share that relationship so He created humanity in the same way that a man and a woman start a family to celebrate their love for each other.
The following is a list of things that the Bible says about us that gives us meaning and a hope for living.
I am accepted
* I am God’s child (John 1:12).
* I am Christ’s friend (John 15:15).
* I have been justified (Romans 5:1).
* I am united with the Lord, and I am one spirit with Him (1 Cor 6:17).
* I have been bought with a price. I belong to God (1 Cor 6:19,20).
* I am a saint (Eph 1:1).
* I have been adopted as God’s child (Eph 1:5).
* I have direct access to God through the Holy Spirit (Eph 2:18).
* I have been redeemed and forgiven of all my sins (Col 1:14).
* I am complete in Christ (Col 2:10).
I am secure
* I am free forever from condemnation (Rom 8:1,2).
* I am assured that all things work together for good (Rom 8:28).
* If I am free from any condemning charges against me (Rom 8:31f).
* If I cannot be separated from the love of God (Rom 8:35f).
* I have been established, anointed and sealed by God. (2 Cor 1:21,22).
* I am hidden with Christ in God (Col 3:3).
* I am confident that the good work that God has begun in me will be perfected (Phil 3:6).
* I am a citizen of heaven (Phil 3:20).
* I have not been given a spirit of fear but of power, love, and a sound mind (2 Tim 1:7).
* I can find grace and mercy in time of need (Heb 4:16).
* I am born of God, and the evil one cannot touch me (1 John 5:18).
I am significant
* I am the salt and light of the earth (Matt 5:13,14).
* I am a branch of the true vine, a channel of His life (John 15:1,5).
* I have been chosen and appointed to bear fruit (John 15:16).
* I am a personal witness of Christ’s (Acts 1:8).
* I am God’s temple (1 Cor 3:16).
* I am a minister of reconciliation for God (2 Cor 5:17f).
* I am God’s coworker (2 Cor 6:1, 1 Cor 3:9).
* I am seated with Christ in the heavenly realm (Eph 2:6).
* I am God’s workmanship (Eph 2:10).
* I may approach God with freedom and confidence (Eph 3:12).
* I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me (Phil 4:13).
(Excerpt from ‘The Bondage Breaker’ by Neil T Anderson.)
People try to say this sort of thing about themselves that God has said about us. Without any external revelation it is all just hoping and making it up as you go along.
Without this revealed meaning (i.e. what God has said about us) we are left to guess at how we got here and what we are meant to do. One of the more popular options is that we evolved from pond slime for no particular reason.
Ephesians 2:10 tells us that “we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”