- Focus on God in every element in worship.
- Have clear Biblical support for every element in worship.
- “Offer to God an acceptable service [i.e., worship] in reverence and awe” (Hebrews 12:28).
- Preach expositionally.
- “Give attention to the public reading of Scripture” (1 Timothy 4:13).
- Transition smoothly between elements of worship.
- Do as much as possible congregationally.
- Have congregational singing with musical accompaniment, not music with congregational accompaniment.
- Evaluate your worship service each week with several leaders.
If anything is worth doing well, it is the worship of our glorious God. If anything in the life of the church is worth the cost of reformation, it is the worship of our holy God. We shouldn’t expect to see changes in worship without prayer and the work of the Holy Spirit, but neither should we expect to see our worship enhanced without taking initiative.
by Donald S. Whitney.